Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Taiwan Day Something to Now

I got to the airport in Taipei and you know those those body heat scanner things at the airport?  Well... seems like my temperature was high enough for the people there to pull me over to take my temperature but they let me go after that.  In Singapore I actually thought I had a fever but whenever I decided to feel my head it was 10000000000 degrees outside so I had no idea if I was hot or having a fever.  There's a slight problem with the time of the fever.  The week before I went to Singapore, I was working outside the house with my dad and I was eaten alive(actually mosquitoes won't eat me dead... ) by mosquitoes and the area near where I live, there were mosquitoes who were tested positive for West Nile virus.  We'll see how this goes.
So they day after I got to Taiwan I took a placement test.  That was the hardest test I've ever taken.  There was a listening/reading test and an oral test.  I'm tone deaf(in more ways than one(read end if you want to know what the other way is)) so when they told us to pick which words had a different tone, it didn't go well.  There was one section of the reading test that I only answered roughly 15 out of 40 questions.  In one of the reading sections, the topic was about some dynasty and I couldn't even read more than 2 words in each sentence.  I told them my major before so during the oral they attempted to ask me stuff about computer science but I don't even know what computer science is in Chinese.  It was funny because someone's major is global relations or something like that and the people asked him about his opinion on the military situation in somewhere and he had no idea that it existed...
Surviving here is gonna be a challenge.  I thought it would be nice to have my own bathroom and no roommate but when I got here I realized since I have my own bathroom, I would have to clean it and since I have no roommate I'm all alone.  Finding toilet paper was one of the hardest things ever, I went to like three 7 11s, two Watsons, and two Family Marts and the only one I could find was a pack of 10.  I'm never gonna use up a pack of 10.... The living isn't like how it was in Hong Kong where all the people living in the building are international people.  There are people from Taiwan and the people in this program aren't even living in the same floor.  I'm on the 10th floor and I know people who live on the 2nd, 9th, 12th etc.  It was so much easier in HK.  There was a nice mall that was really close and at least my Canto isn't terrible and I can read the english parts of menus but here... oh my goodness I don't see english or McDonald's... 
Oh and RIP CUHK umbrella.  You were a nice umbrella, having served by my side for over a year.  All those times you flipped inside out and I thought it was over, no you just went back to your normal shape.  I'll always remember that time in NYC when it started raining ok it wasn't really rain it was more of a torrential downpour with hail and you were there.  Thank you and may you live a happy afterumbrella(I can't say afterlife since it was never alive...).
I think the Taiwan weather was angry at me for using a CUHK umbrella at NTU so the wind blew really hard and the umbrella broke...

Since I realized that most people(even people who actually know how else you can be tone deaf) won't realize what I'm referring to I'll explain it because I don't wanna remove it although it would take less effort to remove than to explain...  Music has notes A, A#, B, B#, etc a tone deaf person would not be able to identify which note is played and it's funny because I've played violin for roughly 8 years and piano for 9.  

No comments:

Post a Comment