Depending on the time zones this could be a two post in one day.
The people in charge of program planned lots of stuff to do so lots of stuff to blog about. On Wednesday we went to the National Taiwan Museum which was nice but it seemed kind of small or maybe I missed part of the museum which is possible. We had a tour guide but we were in groups of roughly thirty people so I couldn't hear what he was saying most of the time. Since the tour was only for one exhibit we could wander around the museum until class time.
Thursday we had mahjong day. Wow chrome doesn't believe mahjong is a word, shame on it. But we played Taiwan mahjong which is 16 tiles and some other tiny things are different. It wasn't really fun because although we played with fake money, we didn't count points. We played whoever gave the tile to the winner, gives 500(in tokens) so I just chickened every time.
On Friday we went to the National Palace Museum. We were told although Beijing has the better palace, Taipei has all the good artifacts so if you wanna go see a palace with nothing in it go to Beijing and if you want to see good things in a boring palace, go to Taipei. It's a shame that we had class later that day so we were only there for about an hour and a half. We didn't get to see much of the art or a calligraphy but we did see the jade cabbage and the rock that looks like a piece of meat. There was a lot of other very intricately made jade, bronze, ivory, etc... but since we had so little time, we couldn't really enjoy them. I want to go there again some other time.
There's still more stuff for Friday! There was a cultural event where volunteers show the culture of their home country. A few people sang Jay Chou songs but I think they were from mainland China... Someone played the guzheng which was very nice. The guzheng is so cool, possibly even cooler than a piano. Oh you may be wondering why people from mainland china are here. There's a chinese language program, a Taiwan culture program, and a research program going on at the same time. The most memorable performance was by the group of people from Japan. I think there were eight people performing a song by AKB48, the funniest part was that only two of the people in the performance were girls and all eight were all wearing skirts. I never thought I would see a bunch of guys wearing skirts sorry no pictures of that.
I'M STILL NOT DONE TALKING ABOUT FRIDAY. After all the performances there was a trivia competition. Three people would compete to see who got the most questions right to get prizes and not get punished. They were all questions about Taiwan, there was one question about the age of the coordinator of the program, she's 25... so young. Anyway the punishment was pretty disgusting. Taiwan is famous for bubble tea so the punishment involved that. I wrote it in white so highlight below if you want to read it, but it is very nasty.
The person who answers the most questions puts pearls in his/her mouth and spit it out. The person in second place puts the pearls in his/her mouth and then puts some milk tea in his/her mouth then spits all that out. The person with the lowest score has to drink it.
ends here
NO WAIT THERE IS MORE ok I lied it's the end.
OMG GROSS! WHAT IF THEY HAD SOME SORT OF MOUTH DISEASE?!!? Glad you didn't lose though. Haha.
ReplyDelete